A New Foundation for American Greatness
Prioritizing Students, Empowering Parents
“This budget makes an historic investment in America’s students. President Trump is committed
to ensuring the Department focuses on returning decision-making power back to the States,
where it belongs, and on giving parents more control over their child’s education.
“By refocusing the Department’s funding priorities on supporting students, we can usher in a
new era of creativity and ingenuity and lay a new foundation for American greatness.”
— Betsy DeVos, U.S. Secretary of Education
The five major themes in the President’s FY 2018 Budget:
• Expanding school choice, ensuring more children have an equal opportunity to receive a
• Maintaining strong support for the Nation’s most vulnerable students
• Simplifying funding for postsecondary education
• Continuing to build evidence around educational innovation
• Eliminating or reducing Department programs consistent with the limited Federal role in
The Budget eliminates or reduces more than 30 programs that duplicate other programs, are
ineffective; or are more appropriately supported with State, local, or private funds.
The President’s Budget provides $59 billion in discretionary funding, a $9 billion or
13 percent decrease below the 2017 annualized CR level.
A full-year 2017 appropriation was not enacted at the time the fiscal year 2018 Budget was
prepared; therefore, the Budget is built off of the Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2017
(P.L. 114-254). Read more